Saturday, June 21, 2008

My little 10th floor garden

Moving to this new place has me  trying new things:  Working out, cooking more at home, eating healthy...  I even started a little garden.  Now I have never had a green thumb.  Something that was never passed down to me by my Grandfather... but living here has me attempting a green thumb.   I still have Charlie "the cactus" that has been with me since before Kevin and I got married.  He survived living in NC 1 year so I got others.  I was able to keep them alive...  they even made the move down here to Florida.  Sad to say the last of my other cactuses died last year... :(  But Charlie is still kicking.  He has even sprouted other Charlies in his pot.  I honestly thought he was a goner when we moved.  He was all dried up but I decided not to give up on Charlie.  So I replanted him and gave him some Cactus Juice.  And a week later he was growing green again.  Then one night I was inspired after reading a kids recycling/ Green Earth book (that I got for work) to plant my own tomato seeds (from a left over tomato).  So I cut the seeds out of the tomatoes, let them dry, then planted them in a yogurt cup.  A week later... GREEN stuff!  So I headed to the Home Depot 2 weeks ago and got some more pots and other gardening stuff - I came home and replanted them and amazingly enough they actually grew...  and they are still green and still growing.    I may have to name him Bob (after the Tomato in Veggie Tales).  While I was at the Depot I picked up some herbs too.   I have decided to grow fresh Sweet Basil and Cilantro.  Yummy...  I love the smell of fresh basil.  And every time you step out on the balcony you get a sniff of it.  I am still in shock that things are actually growing and staying green.  Every time I look out there at my little 10th floor garden I get so excited... I made those!      

No comments: