Tuesday, December 20, 2011

4 Days Before Christmas... We performed Random Acts of Kindness


Day 9:  Random Acts of Kindness
This Christmas Kevin and I both felt it was important to give back. This year has been a hard year for us (like many in our lives). Because of these hardships I think we both have tried to focus on what we do have. It's hard somedays to stay focused on the good things... But we are very thankful that we have each other and our health.

I have always liked the idea of Random Act of Kindness. These Acts are selfless acts performed by a person or people wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual person or people.  I was first introduced to this 2 years ago at Ransom. They actually make it part of their 6th Grade curriculum.
Which I think is amazing. Kids should learn about kindness and helping others.  Then the day after my Birthday I got an email from Panera Bread. Inside they featured a woman, Secret Agent L, who performs Random Acts of Kindness in Philadelphia. She has inspired hundreds more to join her Secret Agent Army. I was so inspired by her... And it started me thinking about my foot print on the world.

What kind of message do I want to teach my little girl?

We decided each of us would do an Act of Kindness. Now I know that these are things that we should be doing regardless of the time of year. During this time of the year I think we all get wrapped up in our own lives we forget to help others. So anything to help others is needed. I've already started thinking about different acts we can perform throughout the year.

So... Here are our Acts:
* Kevin donated Red Blood Cells at a Blood Drive.
* Arianne cleaned out all the closets and took a bunch of stuff to the GoodWill. She also donated to St. Jude's, Share our Strength, Voice for the Homeless, and Veterans of South Florida.
* Ainsley bought a toy for the Coral Gables Fire Department Toy Drive.



No comments: