Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mission RAK: Breakfast and a cup of coffee

Friday, April 27, 2012

Mission: RAK
Target: A homeless man in Coral Gables
The Act: Breakfast and a cup of coffee

It was like every other Friday when both Kevin and I are working. I rush out saying "I love you" and head to work thinking of all the things I have to do that day. This day was no different. As I waited for the train to whisk me away to Coral Gables I made note that I had bills that needed to be paid. I signed on to our account and got a pleasant surprise... Our Tax Refund was there. A surprise that made me feel good.

As I continued to work I thought I would stop off at Panera for some breakfast. As I got off the Trolley I saw the man I had tried to do a RAK for back in January. He was just sitting on this bench. Then it came to me...

Do you know what makes me really feel good? Helping others.

I headed to Panera planning to get my muffin and tea and ordered a cup of coffee and a bagel with cream cheese. I packed up some sugar and milk and headed out the door... Praying he would still be there.

But he wasn't. I couldn't find him anywhere. I walked up and down Miracle Mile looking for this man whom fate was not allowing me to do a RAK for.

After a while I started looking for anyone to give this breakfast to. Just when I was about to go into the theater I saw something on the bench across the street. I crossed to find an old man sleeping on the bench. I tip-toed up placing the coffee and bagel next to him... And trying my best to not wake him.

As I walked away... I prayed that someone wouldn't come by and take it from him. I prayed that this man would wake from the smell of fresh, hot coffee. I prayed that he would feel happy.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: