Thursday, April 22, 2010

Week 27: "Today she's a Head of Cauliflower!"

Yesterday we celebrated the fact that we made it to the 3rd Trimester! Whoooo Hoooooo! Today marks our 190th day (or 27 weeks/ or 6 and ¾ months). We are 67.9% through and only have 90 days (or 12 weeks and 6 days) that remain until our due date. I am also excited to see that she will be full term in 69 days (June 30th)!

One of the things that have recently cracked me up is when friends ask what kind of vegetable is she today. I always thought that the baby sites and books were funny by comparing the size of the baby to vegetables, so I would always refer to her as “that’s my little turnip” or “she’s my little ear of corn” as her size was dictated. I didn’t think I was doing anything worth noting… just me being silly. But after not seeing a few people for a few weeks their first question wasn’t “how’s it going?” It oddly enough was “What kind of veggie is she now?”

I should have been documenting my belly growth with comments and even photos of me with the appropriate vegetable from the beginning. I’m sorry, Baby! But I will try really hard during the next 90 days to document our little produce market!

So what veggie does our little one resemble today? Today she is as big as a Head of Cauliflower! (16 in, 2.5 lbs)

I was amazed to see that she is about 14 1/2 inches long with her legs extended. According to the books and websites she's also sleeping and waking at regular intervals. Which might explain last night’s episode. She is also opening and closing her eyes, and perhaps even sucking her fingers. I am also starting to become more aware of any tiny rhythmic movements that I might be feeling to signify a case of baby hiccups. And the fact that Baby's also soaking up my antibodies, getting the immune system ready for life outside the womb, might explain why I can’t seem to get my allergies in check.

I also can’t wait for Kevin to get home from Puerto Rico tonight. I know being away from “the baby” was tough… I can only imagine how hard it is going to be for him once she arrives. Tomorrow he has the day off so hopefully we can have a date night after I get home from teaching school.


27 Weeks

No comments: