Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Day We Found Out!

Well, the day started out like any other normal day.
But now... Everything different.
Everythings changed!
I am going to be someone's mother!

It was the first day of Madeline's Christmas. The Red Cast was opening with a 10am performance... so I arrived at the theater well before our call of 9am. I had made several comments to the girls in the dressing room how bloated I felt and how much my boobs had been hurting me these past few days. Joking about how I was thankful that I had to wear a sports bra to help keep them in place and still look like I was 12 years old. One of the girls had even commented back saying she felt the same way cause her "Friend" should be arriving any day now. According to my calendar I was really only 4 days late. But ever since I had gotten off the BC my day count every month was different. So I was not too worried. I just figured that I, like most girls in the shows I had been in before, had attached myself to someone elses cycle.

But Valentina felt differently. She had said several times that she thought I was pregnant and that I should take a test just to make sure. I still wasn't completely sold. The symptoms that I was describing were "Friend" symptoms... not "Baby" symptoms. I even pulled out my iphone application to show her my calendar and all it did was give her more reason to say "Take a Test!". And that little "Red" dot on October 30th in the middle of 5 green days did not help my cause. Also the fact that yesterday I had eaten an entire Birthday Cake Remix from Coldstones in a matter of minutes (something I had never done). After the show Valentina offered to give me a ride home between shows (we had our final dress with the Green cast at 6pm) if I would go home and take a test. I knew that as soon as the negative test came back my "Friend" would show up so better to take the test now than to wait.

She dropped me off infront of Target and in I went. I always laugh at myself when I go in to buy a test… kind of feel like I have to buy 50 other things to mask the purchase. So I of course hit the candy isle.

At home I rushed to the bathroom.

You know... I was actually more shocked at how fast the results appeared on the test strip. I actually wanted to laugh at myself. All these years of taking a test and wondering if it was working 5 minutes afterwards. Because as soon as I was done, flushed, and gotten dressed again... it was there.

Two little lines!

And they were CLEAR AS DAY!

We were pregnant!

I think I stared at it for what felt like an hour but was only a few minutes. I needed to tell Kevin but how? I didn't want to wait till later that night to tell him. I was going to have to tell Valentina and the other ladies that it came back positive when I went back to the theater than night... and I didn't want him not to be the first to know. But I couldn't just call him up and say "Hey! I'm pregnant!" So I took a picture of the test strip and emailed it to him. I knew he was in South Miami, so I called so I could be on the phone with him when he got the photo. I was so nervous, scared, worried... to be honest... there were a lot of emotions going on. I finally got Kevin on the phone and told him to check his email. He asked me if it was really important… I sort of laughed and said “I think it is but you might feel differently.” Finally, the photo came through and there it was… we were going to be parents. I started crying (with a mixture of emotions) and Kevin was awesome! He kept reassuring me that everything was going to be fine. I could tell right away he was so excited to be a dad! We said we would talk more when I got home from the show and hung up. I am not sure why but when we said “Goodbye” I felt as thought I was more in love with him than I had ever been.

For the next few hours before I had to head back to the theater I sat and cried. I had a combination of emotions going through me. But one that kept going through my mind… I was going to be someones mother! Everything in my life had been changed! And as much as it excited me there was an even bigger part of me that was scared. But I knew with the love and support from Kevin we were going to make one heck of a parenting team... and that made me smile.

There are not many moments in our lives that we can say are life altering… this was a HUGE one for me. I would rank today right up there with Graduating from College and the day Kevin and I got married!

Today was the day we found out we were going to have a baby!



(The Photo I sent to Kevin)

No comments: