Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The First Doctor's Visit

Our first appointment is in an hour and I am so nervous. We think that we are actually further along than a few weeks because I’m still getting big. My pants don't fit. I know I have been eating a lot but I don't think I would be like this if I were only a few weeks.

Anyway… I'm afraid they won't listen to me or let me ask questions. I’m really nervous about having my blood taken and all the other fun things that go with baby doctor visits.

Or what if I was wrong! What if the test is wrong and we weren’t pregnant? Talk about feeling silly and stupid!

As we were getting ready to get on the elevator Gina called about Thanksgiving dinner. She asked if I was busy and it just came out “No, we are just heading to the doctors for an appointment.” Her response was “oh no… is everything ok?” I actually was caught off guard and followed with the “yeah… it’s just my yearly feet in the stirrups visit”. After I hung up I just looked at Kevin. Oops! This keeping “it” a secret is going to be harder than I thought.

We get to the Doctor’s office and I am amazed by how full the office is. After a while we were called back to the examination rooms. This time walking back it felt different. I wasn’t just there for my yearly visit, a recheck on my biopsies, or just to get BC… I was there to confirm we were in deed expecting!

We were taken into Dr. Nikitin’s office for an initial meeting. The only doctor at this office I had seen before was Dr. Siman so I was kind of nervous about meeting a new doctor. In this office all pregnancies are put on the doctor rotation. So each visit we will see a different doctor.

Anyway, Dr. Nikitin asked us a lot of questions about my calendar and such. Then he asked if we had any questions… whew! I think we both laughed and said “We have LOTS!” He was great. He took his time answering our questions and reassuring us that we would be fine. I expressed my concerns of having a miscarriage and he went into the odds of pregnancy. After that little talk I felt a bit better about the whole thing. He then gave us tons of samples of prenatal vitamins.

Then it was time… the time I was dreading! Vitals and Tests! It started with the urine sample (I need to remember not to go to the bathroom before every visit). Then it was time for the blood pressure and weight part. But the worst part was saved for last. I saw the nurse grab the needle and 4 vials in which I knew my blood was going. I started to laugh nervously telling her I was a brave little chicken who had a thing about needles and blood. I can’t even watch Pulp Fiction in some parts because of it. She was great talked me through the entire thing. I was worried that I was going to pass out like I did the last time I had blood drawn. But in the end… it didn’t hurt so much and I didn’t pass out. This Brave Little Chicken has survived!

With all of that out of the way we headed to the fun part… The Ultra Sound! This was the moment of truth. We were going to see something that would someday be our little one. I think the funniest part was Dr. Nikitin actually saying "Now... it's still very early so don't expect to see a baby sit up and start waving at you!" Waving? I just want to make sure there is actually something in there. I don't care if it doesn't even have arms yet. At first it was hard to see what they needed to see. I was starting to think I was right about not actually being pregnant… but then there it was! What they had been looking for… the little bubble that was the home for our little one. Dr. Nikitin said that we were not that far along but we were indeed having a baby. Part of me was upset because I think I really wanted to be a month farther along than we were because that was one month closer to the 2nd trimester and entering in the “safe” zone. But then again… we were indeed having a baby and that was reason to celebrate! We were then given our first picture and the expectant due date of July 21, 2010.

As we left the office, holding hands, I kept looking at the photo in amazement that it was actually happening. We were going to have a baby!

(the first photo of Baby Collins)

No comments: