Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"I'm eating us out of house and home!"

Today was the first day since finding out that we were expecting that we both had the day off (except for a light brush up rehearsal of Madeline). It was nice to spend all day together. One of the things we have heard from friends (who are also parents) is enjoy your time together before the baby arrives.

So we decided that today we would sleep in and enjoy each other’s company. It was a beautiful day out so we decided we would walk over to Panera Bread for a late lunch. Besides having to look at the menu in a different way (i.e. no cold deli meat, no non pasteurized cheeses, no certain dressings) it was a great lunch. I do have to say this not being able to whatever I want kind of, sort of stinks!

We talked about how this new addition would be changing our lives, our concerns, ideas of being a parent, etc. Since only a handful of people knew it was nice to talk about the pregnancy freely. To see where each of us stood and what we thought. It is so comforting to see that we were both excited… yet be both had concerns. This conversation was unlike any other conversation that we had had in our (almost) 12 years of being together. I know it’s weird to say but I feel like our relationship has grown in a way it never has before. Kevin was no longer just my partner, best friend, husband… I was talking to the father of my child. We weren’t just partners in our relationship but in the raising of our little boy or girl. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t worried about how this baby would affect our marriage… but after this talk a lot of my fears vanished.

Afterwards, as we were walking back, I was joking about how I was already eating us out of house and home.

Kevin being the great and supportive husband that he is said "No Kidding!"

I actually stopped walking. His comeback was so good and totally not what I expected. I of course replied with “Yeah, well… you owe me a present now for that!”

Now when I said present... I was actually thinking “Take me to Coldstones!” and what was his reply?

He said "What? Ice cream?"

I didn’t know what to be madder (play) at? The fact that he made another witty reply or that he actually called me on what I really wanted!

Needless to say our walk back was filled with laughter…

And yes, later that night he took me out for ice cream!

No comments: