Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Traveling Knitter

During our last visit to Key West I came upon an adorable knitting store in Mallory Square area. I was sure with all the artists that Key West has there had to be a store. I was so excited to see that my google search lead me to Knit Wit. I packed up Ainsley and we headed to Downtown.

What I wasn't prepared for was the sophisticated store and friendly staff. At first I felt like I has just walked into a fancy store. One that you were afraid to touch the merchandise. A classy, well organized (with minimal yarn), yarn store.

I wheeled Ainsley around the store and gazed at the "fancy" yarn. I came in not expecting to buy anything... But then one of the ladies came up and started talking to me. She asked me where we were from, what I liked to knit, and how long I've been knitting. I told her about how I had been recently knitting baby blankets and hats. Then she said the magic thing... "you should knit something for yourself!". For myself? I hadn't thought of doing anything for myself since... Well, over a year.

I started looking around and that's when I saw it... This beautiful blue yarn sample with beads and fabric hearts and leaves. Inspiration hit me and I wanted to make it. I thought "I'll just leave out the embellishments". Then I find out the embellishments were part of the yarn. I started to put the yarn back thinking "This is way too hard!". But the lady insisted that I would be able to do it! Even said I could call her if I got stumped! How could I resist?

I walked in not know what to expect and walked out with 3 yarns, a free baby hat pattern, and a new place to visit when coming to Key West.


Arianne Collins

No comments: